Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

I suffered through more than 20 years of emotional abuse, helped

I suffered through more than 20 years of emotional abuse, helped my husband start a very successful business that eventually went public. Under NY state law, am I entitled to half of the stock if I get a legal separation?
Hello. You need to get a family law lawyer right away before he depletes any more of the marital assets!! You are entitled to 1/2 of anything that was accumulated by the two of you during the marriage -- no matter what he is telling you. If the business went public during the marriage and you helped him to create and build the company, then you are entitled to one half of the proceeds of same -- including any money or stocks he received. You are also entitled to one half of his pension monies every month also (don't let him fool you!). Also, if you do not have any money to pay an attorney, your attorney can petition the court for an order that HE pay for your lawyer's fees. All in all, it sounds like you are entitled to one half of a lot of money and you need to get a lawyer on it right away before he whittles down as much as he can. GOOD LUCK.