socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

A child is born out of wedlock in Nevada. He spends the first

A child is born out of wedlock in Nevada. He spends the first two weeks of his life there, then moves to California. He is six weeks old. The natural father is on the Nevada birth certificate. Who has custody of the child? And where would the custody battle take place if necessary?

Since the parents voluntarily relocated with the child to California, the California courts have jurisdiction.

The mother must file a complaint in family court to establish custody and child support. The court can require the father to return the child to the county where the parents were residing. A good family law attorney should be able to file an ex parte emergency order to force the father to return immediately. But, you will have to find the father, in order to serve the summons and restraining order.

For a family law attorney referral, see: and

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.