AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
10805288

I live in pennsylvania and own a business with my husband we

I live in pennsylvania and own a business with my husband we are separated and I would like a divorce. am i entitle to 50% of the business. When we started it up he gave me 20%?
What do you mean he gave you 20%?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When are S corp was formed he set it up so that I was given at the time 20 % of the shares. But, he was told that in pennsylvania the law is if we are married i am entitled to half. So I am confused as to what I am entitled to.
Pennsylvania is an equitable distribution state,not a community property state. Therefore, no, you are not necessarily entitled to half. However, you are also not necessarily restricted to 20% either. If the court has to decide because you two cannot agree, it will look at the surrounding circumstance and divvy up what it believes to be fair, equitable.