Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

I have been married for 7 years and never lived with my husband.

I have been married for 7 years and never lived with my husband. I have been with him for 17 years, since I was 16. I love him and have a 6year old daughter. I don't want a divorce. I have beleived his excuses for us not living together. What can I do? He always lived with his mother four blocks away from me. I saw him every week? I tried talking to him, but he said he already paid the lawyer. I am desperate, I don't want a divorce,,I want to fix it. Please help me.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

DON'T allow the custody case to be dismissed. You cannot fix a marriage by yourself. I am sorry, but if one spouse wants a divorce, they can get one whether you want one or not. You need to be concerned about yourself and your daughter and getting child and spousal support.

Please, if I were your friend, I would say don't do it. You need to fight for custody since he appears determined to get a divorce or control you by saying he wants a divorce. Either way, the marriage appears to be over.

The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals in your area. Look for ones that offer free or low cost consultations.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my response does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.

Here are the grounds for divorce in NY:

Yes. You can fight it, but once he proves abandonment for a year, then the court will grant the divorce.

All the best to you and your daughter.