Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
18539850

How do i get full custody of my son and terminate his bio fathers

How do i get full custody of my son and terminate his bio father's rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

You would need to file a petition to terminate parental rights (TPR). A TPR is an extreme request and is typically only granted where there is significant abuse, abandonment or neglect on the part of the parent subject to the TPR.

Additionally, courts prefer to grant the TPR only where there is another adult ready to adopt, or step in, so that the child will always have 2 people legally obligated to care for the child.

If the TPR is granted, that would obviously give you "full custody" of your child.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!