Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

Having had no contact with a child for ten years, including

Having had no contact with a child for ten years, including birth, what are my obligations regarding paying child support? This child has been raised by another man since birth and thinks of him as her father.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear rastolchest - I'm not certain what type of "paper" you received but if you are determined to be the father of the child then you can be ordered to pay support. It is unlikely that you will be responsible for any past support unless they can show you intentionally evaded service of paternity paperwork or some other unusual circumstance.

You will be liable for child support from the date of filling until the child is an adult. Many times the mother has received some type of state aid which can trigger a motion for support in order to repay the state. I have no way of knowing if that is the case here but it is a possibility.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I received an envelope from the DCSS. In the envelope there was various forms asking for financial and health insurance information.

As I understand your reply, even though another man has accepted personal and financial responsibility for this child for nine years, I will now be obligated to assume that responsibility?

Unless the other man has actually adopted the child that is correct. I know of no other way to accept responsibility for a child that is not yours. I understand the problem but unless you can prove you are not the father you will be held responsible. This sounds like she may have accepted some type of state aid and in that case they always want to know who the bio father is so that's probably what triggered this action.