RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

i live in new york state. it will be almost a year since my

i live in new york state. it will be almost a year since my son and daughter in law have spoken to us or let us see our grandson. we can't talk to him or send him gifts, see him. my daughter in law wo't discuss the reason or reasons as to why she won't talk to us. my son said it is because no one likes her(meaning our family and my husband and i) and that we don't do as we are told re: buy only what she want him to have for christmas birthday ect. If it is anything more i can't get any answers. is there any chance that my husband and i would qualify for grandparent visitation. our grandson is now 3 yrs old..
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear of your situation.

In New York, grandparents have a right to seek assistance of the court to obtain visitation with their grandchildren, even in situations where the nuclear family is intact. It is one of few states that actually guarantees such rights, and allows recourse through the court system. That right is included in both the Domestic Relations Law and the Family Court Act. Section 72(1) of the Domestic Relations Law states that:

“[w]here either or both of the parents of a minor child, residing within this state, is, or are deceased, or where circumstances show that conditions exist which equity would see fit to intervene, a grandparent may apply to [supreme or family court] and . . . the court, by order after due notice to the parent or any other person or party having the care, custody, and control of such child, to be given in such manner as the court shall prescribe, may make such directions as the best interest of the child may require, for visitation rights for such grandparent or grandparents in respect to such child.”

I would strongly advise

Section 72(1) “does not create an absolute or automatic right of visitation. Instead, the statute provides a procedural mechanism for grandparents to acquire standing to seek visitation with a minor grandchild”. Wilson v. McGlinchey, 2 N.Y.3d 375, 380 (2004).

When grandparents seek visitation under §72(1), the court must undertake a two-part inquiry. “First, [the court] must find standing based on death or equitable circumstances”; and “f [the court] concludes that the grandparents have established the right to be heard, then it must determine if visitation is in the best interest of the grandchild”. Emanuel S. v. Joseph E., 78 N.Y.2d 178, 181 (1991). In Emanual, the courts loosely defined equitable circumstances to mean that a "sufficient existing relationship" has been fostered by grandparents. Factors a court may consider to determine if visitation is in the best interest of the child include the previous relationship between the child and grandparents, whether the parents' objections to the grandparents' visitation is reasonable, the grandparents' attitudes toward the child's parents (i.e, the relationship between them) and the child's desires.

Be aware that the presumption that a fit parent’s decisions are in the child’s best interests is a strong one to overcome. But, the New York courts have already noted also that the problems created by parent-grandparent antagonism cannot be ignored and an acrimonious relationship is generally not sufficient cause to deny visitation. “It is almost too obvious to state that, in cases where grandparents must use legal procedures to obtain visitation rights, some degree of animosity exists between them and the party having custody of the child or children. Were it otherwise, visitation could be achieved by agreement” Lo Presti v. Lo Presti, 40 N.Y.2d 522, 526 (1976).

I would strongly advise you to seek out a local family law attorney familiar with grandparent visitation issues to discuss the matter further. It sounds like you may have to petition the court system to try and establish visitation rights, and you will want a lawyer to assist you in this process.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.
This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.