Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I live in Louisiana (Ascension parish) and my wife moved out

I live in Louisiana (Ascension parish) and my wife moved out and filed for legal separation. She wants me to sign a "wavier of service". I found one on line and it states " I do hereby formally and expressly acknowledge and accept service of a certified copy of said petiton and waive formal citation and service of process, all legal delays, notice of trial and appearance at trial and special notice required required by R.S. 13:3491 and 13:3492. My questions is if I sign this wavier does this means when the divorce papers are filed does she gets whatever she asks for and I can not fight the judgement?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

The waiver is a waiver of formal service by a process server. It does not automatically waive your rights to respond. However, if you fail to timely file a response, a judgment for the relief your wife requested would be entered.