Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

I am a grandmother who lost her children because of drugs,all

Customer Question

I am a grandmother who lost her children because of drugs,all that is behind me now I am clean these days my daughter is in jail wants me to keep her son I have him now and I want to keep him is that possible?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Yes it is possible. Your daughter can complete documents to establish guardianship of the child to you. You will need to check with California schools to see if the Arizona guardianship documents are acceptable. If not you will need to ask a court to allow you to register the kids in school. or make sure you have California documents completed as well.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is just 3 months old school isnt a problem,she has another child that a aunt has can she try to get custody of this one too,or is the mother choice?
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Yes in that case a court hearing could be demanded by the aunt. The mother's prederence would hold greater weight initially if the court has otherwise not assumed control over the child e.g. already remoed the child from the mother's custody.