Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

WHAT IS THE LAW REGARDING EMANCIPATION OF A 19 YEAR OLD WHO

Customer Question

WHAT IS THE LAW REGARDING EMANCIPATION OF A 19 YEAR OLD WHO IS NOT IN SCHOOL FULL TIME AND IS WORKING FULL TIME
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Since New Jersey law provides no specific law as to the definition of emancipation, The Superior Court of New Jersey has stated that “When a child moves beyond the sphere of influence and responsibility exercised by a parent and obtains an independent status on his or her own, generally he or she will be deemed emancipated.”

In general a child is considered emancipated when:

1) the enlist in the military

2) the get married

3) they are no longer living at home, working full time, no longer financially dependent on their parent and not pursuing college.

Again this is all based on case by case given the "full independence of the child and control of the parents".

So if a child is working full time and no longer under the control of the parents the court would consider this emancipation.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So who has the burden of proof the custodial parent correct to prove that he is a full time student if not the adult child should be emancipated
She would have to rebut your presumption that he is not emancipated.