lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

Ny niece has a court hearing for custody of two of her daughters

Ny niece has a court hearing for custody of two of her daughters by the grandmother. We have been unable to get a pro bono to help. We have never even seen the papers or charges but only was told by the grandmother about court and was finally able to get the time and place from the circiut clerk just this past tuesday. we have no idea what to do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
While your post is underpriced, I will try to give you a little general information since that is all I can do based on your post. While you should have been properly served with the papers, it will pay you to show for court anyway. You can go to the clerk of court and get a copy of everything. Depending on the type of hearing you may have to give testimony or it may be by affidavit only. I cannot tell you but maybe the clerk will. What each party will have to show is that it is the children's best interests for that party to have custody. That depends on the facts of the case so you need to be prepared to present your facts.