How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADY LAWYER Your Own Question
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LADY LAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive just married a military man and Im trying to relocate to

Resolved Question:

Ive just married a military man and Im trying to relocate to where he is stationed. My sons father and I have joint custody, I know that in order to leave the state with our son his father would have to sign a consent form.I informed him of my plans before going to file for relocation. But before I had the chance to file he went to court and filed against me. He is not going to give his consent, he said I can move but our son is not going with me! His fathers is a good dad but he is not in any way suitable to raise our son. Would they take my son from me and place him in his fathers care?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 7 years ago.



It is not mandatory that the court give your ex custody. The court can rule that your son stay with you and be relocated, even over your ex's objections. But there is a chance that they will say that you cannot take him away from his father. It has been my experience, however, that the court is usually much more lenient with military relocations. Just make sure you have a well thought-out game plan to tell the court about how you plan to help facilitate the visits between your son and his father.

LADY LAWYER and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you