RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

just went to court today for a motion for contempt against

just went to court today for a motion for contempt against my ex husband, he had one against me and i petitioned to change shared decision making to sole decision making based on my ex's bahviors for the last 8 months. one of the issues he was upset with was that i took the children on a 4 day cruise (1 day in mexico)and claims that i didn't notify him. i did notify him by registered mail, he never picked up the mail. the magistrate didn't seem to have a problem with the way i had handled things. i got a phone call tonight saying that my ex is "filing a petition to take the boys to england for a month next summer." my ex is a british citizen (US greencard holder) and says he has british passports for them to go. is it possible for them to have british passports? don't they have to have been born in england to have british passports? i'm extremely concerned that he is going to try and take the kids out of the country for good. what do i do to prevent this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.I don't think he can have passports here if you didn't sign applications.That said he could have forged your name here.But you should force the issue and demand he produce them for the court.And certainly you can try to oppose this here. The court decides the matters here as far as visitation and limitations.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so, british passports at his end are out of the question? my children aren't briitish citizens just because their dad is, right?
British citizens here like your children would need British passports, here is reference..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/WhoiseligibleforaBritishpassport/DG_174145

They probably are citizens by birth here

Edited by RayAnswers on 10/2/2009 at 1:27 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my children are american citizens. they were born in florida. i am an american citizen as well. is my bristish citizen (us greencard holder) ex husband going to be able to get british passports for my children without my consent? i apologize for the redundancy. i looked at the reference and it looks like he may be able to!
Sorry for the confusion.If he is there parent then they are apparently British citizens by birth.And yes it looks to me that he would be able to get these --passports because they are in fact British citizens--they have dual citizenship.They are both ehre because their parents are from different countries..I am not sure whether he forged your name somewhere along the line..