RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My divorce was final in July. My ex husband talked me into

Customer Question

My divorce was final in July. My ex husband talked me into an uncontested divorce stating that he would pay off my car and sign it over to me along with paying my insurace till the car was paid off. Continue my cell phone payments till 2010. In a virbal agreement he agreed to take on all the credit card debt. Now he is fileing for bankruptcy and I am affraid I am going to be stuck with everything. Was going to sell the car and find me something cheaper to drive but he said I have to hold on to it till the bankruptcy is done. I can not afford an attorney. Before the divorce he threated me with abandonment and told me that I was not intitled to any of his military retirement. Now I don't know what to do.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.You may seriously want to consider bankruptcy yourself to dodge getting stuck with everything here.If title to the car here is in your name then sell it.If it is in his name then not much you can do.

He can exempt one car and you could too if you file as well for a total of two cars, one for each bankruptcy filing.You shoud never have agred to the terms of the divorce here as this was obviously his plan all along.Please take advantage of complimentary bankruptcy consult with local lawyer.Really by his filing likely he has doomed you to file as well..