Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I delivered a baby in Calif. when I was 19 yrs. old back in

Customer Question

I delivered a baby in Calif. when I was 19 yrs. old back in 1969. I was promised that the birth certificate would be sealed forever. I have just been contacted by this child in the last few days and she has in her possession the birth certificate and even my personal interviews before and after birth. I feel so violated at this point. Did they have a leagal right to release all this information? I thought my privacy was protected.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Who guaranteed you that the adoption would be forever sealed?
Did you have to appear in court for any reason relative to the adoption?
Did you go through a private agency? Public agency?

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was thru County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services. I never had to appear in court, everything was signed at their office. I was promised by that agency that the birth certificate would be sealed and no one would ever be able to have access to it by law. Also concerning the interviews done, can they just release all that information?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Did you ask the department why they released the records?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not been in contact with them yet. I wanted some advice on my rights before I did that. She was just looking for her birth parents and went thru some group called Angels something?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I believe you'll find that the restrictions on records in California has been eased over the years and access to them was in all probability finally granted.

Because I don't know what laws were in effect 40 years ago, and therefore I can not determine whether any law has been violated, I'll opt out and allow another expert to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I have to submit the question again?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
No, just be patient--I have put it back out on the board for anyone to answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.