Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Is CPS required to inform the parents of what the allegations

Is CPS required to inform the parents of what the allegations against them involve?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Initially, in the beginning stages of the investigation, CPS does not have to inform the parents as to the allegations. The CPS investigators will talk with the children without parents present and will also talk to the parents and ask questions (generally from the questions the parents can figure out what the actual allegations are) but usually CPS will not disclose the actual charges until they are further into their investigation. It is ALWAYS best to get an attorney involved immediately if there is any concern at all that the CPS investigation will proceed beyond the preliminary investigation and have the attorney present during all interviews, since this stops CPS from misrepresenting facts and keeps them from telling the parents one thing and doing something different. These cases with CPS are not very easy to deal with and are very frustrating even with an attorney, but having one makes it much less frustrating because the attorney can deal with many of the issues more expediently.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”