Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

my son is 61000.00 dollars in arrears and he has been paying

Customer Question

my son is 61000.00 dollars in arrears and he has been paying child support in fl. for 5 yrs.he signed over the home in hyannis, mass. to his ex. so she could sell that home and get a larger home. the new home was to go into her name anad the oldest daughter name. the ex-wife sold the home for one dollar to her attorney and then he sold it back to her for one dollar then she sold it on the market for 350,000.00 and left state and moved the children to arizona and paid for a home their for her and her new husband. my question is isn't my son intitled to 50% of the 350,000.00 from the sale of the home and if so could he have the $61,000.00 pd from that so he can be stopped from paying late charges and intertes on the arrears of chils support.
thank you
brenda ([email protected] )
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If he transferred his interest in the property to her and didn't reserve the right to collect any portion of the proceeds from the sale of the house, he's probably got no legal standing to seek any portion of that money.

Also, it is possible that the divorce decree ordered him to deed his ownership interest in the property to her.

If he was supposed to receive funds from the sale and didn't he could see to recoup that amount.