Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law

My daughter has been married for 6 months. They married and

My daughter has been married for 6 months. They married and then he shipped to Iraq. He has since said that he wants a divorce. They have a joint account but he has an account that his salary goes into that only has his name on it. They have not purchased any property. He gave her 600 dollars a month to live on but is now going to cut her off. They live and were married in Texas. Can my daughter get additional money from the salary he has gotten and put some in savings?

Texas is a community property state. As such your daughter is entitled to 1/2 the assets including any "account" in the husband's name after divorce. If your daughter is not receiving support now she can file a petition for spousal support. You may wish to check with the military as they may have their own policies on spousal support.

If you found this answer informational please press the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.