lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

My step-brother is the executor of his fathers will. His

My step-brother is the executor of his father's will. His father is also my and my 2 sisters' step-father. Our father passed away on August 26th. Thus far, our step-brother has indicated that Dad left us a "dollar amount". He would not state what that amount is. What is the law surrounding heirs and their being notified of what the will states? If we did not ask him if Dad left us anything, would he be obligated to tell us?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The personal representative of the estate is responsible for notifying all the heirs. Here you can go to the probate court and get a copy of the file. The will should be in the file and it is public information.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The will and testament are Virginia based and I am in Florida. How do I find where the probate court is? Is this something I have to do in person?

Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The probate court is in his county of residence. You can call and they will mail you a copy of the file for a small fee or you can have someone go and get it for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Suppose the will is not in the file? Is it required to be so legally?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The will is legally supposed to be filed with the probate court. However it is not unusual for wills to be "lost" if the person can gain by it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate your answers and yes, they are helpful, but paying money for each question just doesn't feel right to me.
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You only have to accept once as long as your question is a closely related followup. Sorry that was not clear. Thank you for your accept and please ask for me if you need more assistance in the future. Just put "For Lwpat" in the subject line.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the clarification!! Should I wish to ask further questions in the future, how may I select you as the attorney of choice?

Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Just put "For Lwpat" in the subject line and I will get it. I also think that there may be a drop down button where you can select the expert but we can't access that portion of the site so i am not sure. Good luck to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks "Lwpat"!! Have a great evening!! I appreciate your help! :)