Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

My husband has filed papers but not served me with them, he

Customer Question

My husband has filed papers but not served me with them, he tells me if I sign the adjornder he doesn't need to serve me is this correct?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If he provided you with the full papers, and you signed, then no, he no longer needs to serve you.

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/1/2009 at 6:26 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has not given me a copy of the orginal papers filed, only a modified version and I have not signed anything, we are still agruing over the amount of child support he should be paying. He wants to pay less than half of the calulated amount of support for our two children because he already pays for his oldest child, whom I have no connection with. I will not agree to that large of a devation and he now refuses to answer my calls, I don't know what legeal step to take next.
Then you were not formally served. Do not sign anything, and have your attorney attempt to contact his attorney for a negotiation as it pertains to the portion of the decree that both of you are arguing about.

To be properly served, you must get proper notice and all of the papers--if you were not provided with everything, then service fails.

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.