How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im in kansas been divorced 8 years paid child support 1st 6

Customer Question

im in kansas been divorced 8 years paid child support 1st 6 months, was rough divorce,havent paid since 1st 6 months and she has a 3 year old judgement against me , we have been getting along great the last 4 years , except recently 51 days ago she stopped letting me see my son, no reason, now i have to talk to her husband , he and i get along great but so far no visit, what can i do to stay out of jail and still see my son
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.

Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide legal advice or legal services on JustAnswer. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service and may/not apply in your particular state. What follows is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists. Anything you write can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.
By reading further, you understand and agree to all that is written above.



If a person fails to follow a court order (such as interfering with court-ordered visitation), the party affected by the failure should be able to file a motion for contempt with the court that issued that order. If the court finds a party to is not complying, the court may find that person in in contempt. The court can then issue various sanctions against the noncomplying party.

If court-ordered visitation is not in place, a non-custodial parent must petition the court to establish a visitation schedule.

It is worth noting that, while failure to pay child support is not usually grounds to interfere with court-ordered visitation, failure to pay child support may be a criminal offense. Further, when a parent fails to pay support or contact children for a prolonged period, the failure may be grounds to terminate parental rights.

Child-related matters are major factors in life. Accordingly, before taking any legal action, a person should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about this matter. While I realize that this can be a great expense, it would be an excellent investment. If money is scarce, there may be low-cost or free legal clinics available to you for this purpose. The state bar association may be able to assist you in locating those. If there are no such clinics, you may be able to work out a payment plan with your attorney. Alternatively, you may be able to seek a loan or pay your attorney via credit card. While it is possible to represent one's self, it is always advisable to have a qualified attorney's assistance.

If you need additional clarification, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to elaborate. Please remember that we cannot provide legal advice/services through JustAnswer.

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

When leaving Feedback, please remember that Feedback is left for me as an answerer, rather than the content of the answer. While I enjoy to providing customers with the answers they want to hear, doing so is not always possible.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:

Related Family Law Questions