Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

my son and his childrens mother lost custody of their 3 children.My

Customer Question

my son and his childrens mother lost custody of their 3 children.My question is can i adopt my grandchildren,i cannot imagine bein on this earth without them.The reason for losing them was my son drug addiction and that the mother was to slow in meeting all the requirements presented in the case,so they were recently placed for adoption.I am a nurse i have no past criminal history or drug abuse history,i am also looking into the federal indain welfare act as i am enrolled in the otoe-missouri tribe but the children are not as they are not enough quatum blood degree.What are my options at this point i am desparate!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
You can certainly file a petition for guardianship over the children and possibly adopt them. However, adoption is much more difficult to do because the rights of the birth parents have to be terminated. Unless both parents are willing to olntarily relinquish their rights, it is virtually impossible.