How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband fathered a child 10 years ago and has been paying

Resolved Question:

My husband fathered a child 10 years ago and has been paying child support and health insurance since. He has no visitation and had tried to terminate his rights but was denied. He now as a wife and two children of his own and health insurance is very expensive. We are self employed (farm) so have to pay for our own health insurance out of pocket. The have just sent us a notice of review and we are wondering what we are responsible and if it is legal to deny to terminate rights.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,


If your husband's income has decreased, or his expenses for your children has increased, it would benefit you to file a Petition to modify the Child Support Amount, explaining in his Petition the "Change in his Circumstances" which is the factors which Jdges use to increase or decrease child support amounts.


No one can stop your husband from signing a "Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights"; however, doing so would not relieve him of the obligation of child support.



I hope this answers your questions. Pressing the "ACCEPT" button will not close the window and you may ask follow up questions; If you have questions in the future, feel free to ask for me; you may do so, by simply typing my name at the beginning of your question.



Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you.


Making a deposit does not constitute an acceptance of my answer; unless you press the ACCEPT button.



Leaving positive Feedback, Bonus, etc., are always appreciated.




Thank you and Good Luck!


ANDREA, JD, LL.M., Taxation

Member, NY & PA Bar


DISCLAIMER: The facts stated herein are information only and are not intended, nor should be construed as legal advice or legal opinion and No Attorney-Client relationship is formed by asking questions and receiving information; laws vary from state to state and to protect your interests, you should seek local counsel

ANDREA, and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you