lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

What are the chances of a NCP who has had little to no contact

Customer Question

What are the chances of a NCP who has had little to no contact over almost 6 years and lives across the country to get custody of special needs son from mother who works in adult entertainment and is being treated for Depression ( plans on using that against me in court)
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
There is no way to predict anything like this. You will have to show that it is in the best interests of the child. How you plan of doing that is something that you and your attorney need to work on and you may need a private investigator. I do predict that your chances are near zero without a very good attorney. Best interests cover the entire range of a child's life from school, religion, home, and financial.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay I am confused, or maybe I confused you, I am the custodial parent. my child is 5 I was vague because I am not sure if this is posted publicly or not. was never married to father he now is threatening custody due to me having issues with depression and being an adult entertainer. So You are saying I may lose my daughter?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
There is always that chance. Here he is at a disadvantage because of the contacts the child already has with your home state. You will have to show that you are the best one to continue to have custody. Here you need witnesses that can testify about your child and why he should remain with you. Live witnesses are your best evidence.