How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just want a simple prenuptial agreement that says in the

Customer Question

I just want a simple prenuptial agreement that says in the event of a legal separation or divorce that any property or debt in my name only belongs to me and vice versa. Also any property or debt in both of our names is shared 50/50. Is that possible?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.


By reading further, you agree to and understand the following:
Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide legal advice or legal services on JustAnswer. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service and may/not apply in your particular state. What follows is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists. Anything you write can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.



Yes and no.

A prenuptial agreement to that extent is possilbe in many cases. However, you will need to have an attorney draft the agreement and ensure that all of the appropriate disclosures have been made. Courts often have discretion in whether or not to enforce a prenuptial agreement. Accordingly, if a court can find an excuse not to do so, a court may choose not to enforce such an agreement if the circumstances call for it.

Further, prenups often involve a great deal of negotiations between future spouses and their attorneys.

To answer your question:
Such a prenup is possible.
However, no prenup is truly simple.

You would be prudent to take this matter to an attorney immediately. He will be able to evaluate your assets and determine the best method of protecting them. He will also be able to help you draft a prenup so as to help you have the maximum probability of enforcement.

If you do not feel that this answer fully responds to your question, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to elaborate. Please remember that we cannot provide legal advice/services through JustAnswer.

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

When leaving Feedback, please remember that Feedback is left for me as an answerer, rather than the content of the answer. While I enjoy to providing customers with the answers they want to hear, doing so is not always possible.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:

Related Family Law Questions