legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
4622441

I live in the state of michigan. Im married with no children.

I live in the state of michigan. Im married with no children. Ive been married 15 years. My wife and I own a home with both of our names on the mortgage, and over the past 15 years we've purchased every thing from a riding lawn mower
to flat screen tv's, in home recording studio, tools, bikes, furniture ect ect. It is my understanding
that I live in a no fault state. I've been on disability for 10 years due to a work related mater and my wife over the years has invested more in our marriage financially than I have. My question
is will I end up losing everything if I file for divorce because she has been the majority bread winner
in our marriage.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Yes MI is a no fault divorce state where if you show there is breakdown of the marriage the divorce can be granted. Any assets purchased during the marriage are marital assets regardless of who made more or who paid more toward the purchases. The division of property would take into account her higher earnings and in equity you could get more assets because after the divorce you will only have your lower income. So you will not lose everything and you should end up with your fair share of the assets.