How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my ex fiance seperated in may of this year he did not

Customer Question

Me and my ex fiance seperated in may of this year he did not move out until the end of june of this year. he is now trying to get every weekend and once a week with our son. because of his irresponsability as a father i would rather him only have visitation when i am around. What is the laws and what can i do to prevent my son from harm at his fathers house?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

What state do you live in?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in florida
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

In Florida, the courts attempt to determine what is in the best interest of the child when making custody determinations, considering all relevant facts, including the age and health of the parents, who has been the child's primary caregiver in the past, the wishes of the child (depending on the child's age), who can provide the more stable and healthy home environment, where the child's friends and family live, etc.


If you can show based on the circumstances that visitations with the child's father are not in his best interest, the court will not award those visitations. Showing evidence that your child came back from visitations sick, covered in bed bug bites, etc., will help your case. You can also ask that visitations be supervised if they are awarded at all. This is usually done if there is a history of domestic violence or if the parent is incapable of caring or a child for whatever reason.


Best of luck to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your answer and you will definetly be getting a payment, but i have one more things to ask. I do have photographs of the bug bites and a whitness to my sons sickness when he came home from his fathers. i do not however, have a job. My family lives 100 yards up the road from me and have been helping me and my son since his father left. Will this prevent me from astablishing monitored visitations only? Also, my son is only 11 months old. I have been the primary care giver for the past three months and then even when his father and i were together,he was not around enough to care for anyone, other than paying the bills. He has already filled out the paper work needed to get certain visitation rights and we will be going to court. Does his past matter in this situation? say for the fact that he abandoned one son, or the fact that he never wanted to care for his child until he actually moved out. If i can prove this and have witnesses will it help my case?

Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

The fact that you don't have a job is not particularly relevant if you are still able to provide your son with all of his basic needs.


The father's past with your son is relevant. If he has not shown any interest in your son until this point, you can point that out. Witnesses (depending on what they will testify to) may help.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so very much. one final thing. Can i be my own lawyer in this matter? If this goes all the way to court which i am sure it will, can i be my own lawyer or will one be provided for me? I have no means of paying a lawyer so in this situation what do you suggest i do?