LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I am a disabled veteran who has been abused by my husband for

I am a disabled veteran who has been abused by my husband for 25 yrs. I am not able to work and need daily assistance as I am wheelchair bound with MS. Would I be better off to file a contested divorce to receive the funds, etc I need for the rest of my life?
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The simple fact is that if your husband is not willing to enter into a divorce settlement agreement whereby he provides you with the spousal support that you will need to live on, then you will be in a position where you will need to have a hard fought trial in order to get what you deserve.

You should first attempt to negotiate, and failing that, aggressively go after him in a contested divorce.

I wish you the best.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug