Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Is an informal child support agreement that was notarized,enforced

Customer Question

Is an informal child support agreement that was notarized,enforced by the courts in New Jersey?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

It would not be enforceability as child support without court approval. You can consider filing a petition for child support and introducing the agreement into evidence. The court can then award child support including arrearages.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What I meant was several months ago I signed a letter my ex-girlfriend had written up for me to pay $2400.00 a month for child support and bills that we had incurred together. My name is XXXXX XXXXX any of these bills and she is calling this alimony even though we were not married. I signed it and she had it notarized. I make approx. $100k a year and she makes approx. 45k a year. I cannot afford a lawyer and was wondering if you thought if she brought this to court the judge would side with her since I signed this?
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

If your ex-gf files suit for child support the court will grant her child support according to guideline. Click here for official guideline. For an easy approximation, click here.