lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

My husband and I have custody of our 14 year old step son.

Customer Question

My husband and I have custody of our 14 year old step son. He (the step son) however now wants to go live with his Mom. I was wondering what the child support would be. She is unmarried, living with her boyfriend, with no other kids. She herself earns aprox 70,000/ year and my husband and I live on 75,000/year combined ( I also receive $700/mo in child support for my other three children). My husband and I also have a baby together and he has a son from another marriage that also lives with us while me commutes to college, fulltime. My three other children from my previous marriage also live with us. We live in Michigan.
Her current support to us is 260 (including med support) every 2 weeks. Can you tell me aproximately what we could expect to pay in child support? Do they take his 18 year old son into account (no support is received for him)? Do they take our daughter that we have together into account? I don't think they take my 3 into account, as they are step kids. Thanks!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
They do not take your three into account or their child support that comes to you. Here is the Michigan child support calculator that the court uses so you can plug in the figures.

There is also a link to the manuals if you have a specific question about an item.