lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

Good morning I live in NYS and raised my son who is now

Customer Question

Good morning:

I live in NYS and raised my son who is now 37yrs old by myself after a divorce when he was 4 yrs old. My ex husband was unstable and was on medication at the time. He has lived with his father for over 35 yrs rent free and collects Veterans Benifits. I have received no support from the father and my son went to college for 5 yrs and grad school for 2 more. I have helped and supported my son by myself and now looking for some help into my retirement in years to come.

Please advise on what direction I would take?

Michele Barile
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Hi Michele
I hate to be the bearer of of bad news but it is too late to go back and try to get anything other that what Social Security benefits you may be eligible for if you were married to him long enough. You can check with them and see. You can't go back for child support or alimony at this late date.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was only married for about 5 yrs...What is the cut off date for back child support. So let me get this right. He has to pay nothing his entire life for a son that he brought into this world. Nice...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi again I just looked up my records and I was married in 1971 and divorced in 1978...
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately you can't go back to 1978. Sorry.