Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I am in the military and just returned from Iraq. My wife handed

I am in the military and just returned from Iraq. My wife handed me a Dissolution of marriage Divorce paperwork. My question is now she is realizing this was a mistake and wants to change this to a Separation. I am confused as to what I need to do? Should I get an Attorney as she had mentioned we don't need one if we both agree to the terms she has outlined. We have three children 2 of which are under 18, 8 and 10yrs old and a 20 yr old. We have some property and because of her failure to keep up the payments while I was gone the home is getting ready to go into foreclosure. Should I agrre with this separation as she is just buying time as I had mentioned I did not want the kids to live with her in Arizona. I am stationed in Colorado. Am correct to assume if we seperate one of us has to leave the premises? If so I had mentioned since she had petitioned for this she should be the one to move out. She has a part time job and can't afford an apartment. Please help!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You should get an attorney, especially since there are matters in contention. She can convert the divorce papers into a separation, but she would have to do this by filing a motion to amend. since this involves her wanting to move the children, you really should have an attorney to protect your interests as a parent, since a legal separation is identical to a divorce in terms of child support or her seeking spousal support and as far as possession of the marital home and the only difference is that the separation does not terminate the marriage.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”