Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator

my husband of 21years was making his monthly childsupport payments

my husband of 21years was making his monthly childsupport payments and his ex. sent it back then moved out of state that was in 1989. now 20 years later childsupport is coming after him for back pay. can they legally do that?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.
This is highly unusual but not impossible. More likely than not, the mother received some state assistance, be it medicaid or food stamps or some such similar aid. Once she accepted money from the state, the state then became interested in getting the money back from the father, your husband.

The unusual part is the length of time the state waited. I'd be curious how much effort they put into locating your husband in a timely fashion.

Considering the time that has passed, I would urge your husband to retain a family law attorney to assist him. He clearly has issues to pursue in an effort to avoid the extremely old child support obligation. I can't help but think a knowledgeable attorney could do a great deal to help out.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!