CALawyer
CALawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  California Family Law Attorney
2669768

My wife left me for the second time on November 8, 2005. I

My wife left me for the second time on November 8, 2005. I would like to get a uncontested divorce at this time. In the state of Texas there is a 61 day waiting period that is required after the divorce is filed. My question is there anyway a divorce in Texas can be sped up by going to another state?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CALawyer replied 7 years ago.
Not really. Generally speaking, a 61 day waiting period is very short. Many states have a 6 month waiting period. Some require 2 years. Alabama at 30 days is the shortest if my recollection serves me.

More on point, however, is that most states require you to be a resident for at least 30 days to 6 months before you can even commence a marital dissolution in that state. Alabama requires 6 months.

In my experience, the 61 day waiting period is for the termination of marital status. Usually a judgment can be obtained beforehand saying that status terminates on that date.

Sorry its not better news.

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you have any related follow up questions or need clarification, just ask!

Remember, this is for entertainment and educational discussion only and is not intended as legal advice and that no attorney client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So u think if i file the divorce it will be granted we are just waiting the 61 day period before it becomes final?
Expert:  CALawyer replied 7 years ago.
Let me check the statute and I will post it up. Some states do have a pre-filing waiting period for no-fault divorces, so I want to be sure.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, please check. My wife has rhematoid artheritis and I think she needs this divorce so my income will not effect her filling for disability.
Expert:  CALawyer replied 7 years ago.
Texas appears to have no pre-filing waiting period.

The waiting period is between the date that the petition is filed and the date that the dissolution can be effective.

As I explained previously, parties can submit all the paperwork beforehand and have the dissolution entered, effective on the 61st day.

Here is a link to a pretty good explaination for TX: CLICK HERE.

Here is the text of the statute:

Texas Family Code Sec. 6.702. WAITING PERIOD. (a) The court may not grant a divorce before the 60th day after the date the suit was filed. A decree rendered in violation of this subsection is not subject to collateral attack.

(b) A waiting period is not required before a court may grant an annulment or declare a marriage void other than as required in civil cases generally.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, Sec. 1, eff. April 17, 1997.