lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

I am divorced and the court granted my husband and I 50/50

Customer Question

I am divorced and the court granted my husband and I 50/50 custody. My ex and I drew up and agreement that my daughter would live with me in California, while he stays in Arizona during the school year. I drew up the contract and e-mailed it to him. He told me to make one change and sign the contract. Now when I drive to Arizona and have piced up my daughter and am ready to return to California he notified me that if I leave with her he will call the police. What are my rights? Can I leave with my dauter or not?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Since you have court ordered 50/50 custody you can leave with her unless there is something in the court order that would prevent her from leaving the state. I have no idea what the court order says but usually the order sets out each party's custody rights. Here you have to follow the court order. Any agreement would have to be entered in court to be enforceable.