RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

If a property is purchased in the last year and a down payment

If a property is purchased in the last year and a down payment of approximately 35% was given by the parents of one party, does the other party have the right to ask for a half ownership?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. The court would decide here. The presumptionis that the down payment was a gift and that this is marital property to be divided equitably. This can be argued to the judge and ultimately they decide the split. But in most cases I would tell you this is going to be split pretty evenly here. The down payment was considered a gift to both parties--it wasn't made conditional here in writing....

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The parents live in oversees (Not US Citizens) and were not aware of the difference between the gift and written (note) - loan. Not knowing the laws of United States does make any difference?
Well you can argue it but honestly it was a gift here since there was no note.You can try but that is a long shot. Likely the court divides it here by law as marital property..