Curtis Staropoli
Curtis Staropoli, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years experience in the general practice of law.
10748736

I was married in Kentucky and i no longer live there. Can i

I was married in Kentucky and i no longer live there. Can i file for divorce in Indiana and not have to appear in court in Kentucky? It is a contested divorce without children involved and without marital property or debt
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Curtis Staropoli replied 7 years ago.
Where does the ex-spouse live?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is incarcerated in Hardin County Detention Center In Elizabethtown,KY
Ok, you can file in Indiana more than likely.

Indiana has its own laws as to who is eligible to file for a divorce.

Indiana's filing requirements require you to meet residency requirements for the court to accept the case. These are as:

At the time of the filing of a petition, at least one (1) of the parties must have been: (1) a resident of Indiana; or (2) stationed at a United States military installation within Indiana; for six (6) months immediately preceding the filing of the petition. At the time of the filing of a petition, at least one (1) of the parties must have been: (1) a resident of the county; or (2) stationed at a United States military installation within the county; where the petition is filed for three (3) months immediately preceding the filing of the petition. (Indiana Code - Title 31, Article 15, Chapters: 2-6)

I hope that this was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your right to ask more questions on this issue, and I will be happy to respond to these as well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will i have to appear in court?
Yes, it's likely that you will.