Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

i am in a world of unanswered questions, i was a stay at home

i am in a world of unanswered questions, i was a stay at home wife, i was not on the checking accts, or on the house note, he has sold his car, which he had given to me, and i am now being starved out with verbal abuse and no groceries, we have been married 6 years with no children, what are my options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 5 years ago.

Disclaimer

By reading further, you agree to and acknowledge the following:
1. You understand that laws vary drastically by state and country and that this answer does not constitute legal advice and that no attorney-client relationship is formed.
2. You understand that because no attorney-client relationship is formed, no attorney-client privilege exists and anything you have written could be used against you in court if discovered by an opposing party.
3. You understand that it is impossible for an attorney to provide complete and proper legal advice with JustAnswer and you therefore acknowledge that information provided on JustAnswer is not legal advice.
4. You understand that T-USA is providing this information for the sole purpose of helping you to seek and find legal counsel in your particular state.
5. You understand that T-USA is not providing you with legal services or advice.
6. You understand that T-USA is not agreeing to represent you in any legal matter and that no attorney-client privilege is formed.
7. You understand that you should consult, in person, with an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state or the state in which your question's subject matter is taking place.

State laws can vary drastically. Accordingly, you should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about this matter. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service. What follows is general information which may or may not apply, depending on the laws of your state. Only an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state can provide legal advice or legal services.

_____________________________________

Answer

Good evening and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

It sounds as though you are in a situation of domestic violence. Verbally abusing someone and starving her can constitute domestic violence, which may be punishable criminally or civilly.

Many areas have battered woman's shelters that welcome women who are being abused (even if the man does not strike them). I would recommend contacting such a shelter, describing your situation, and evaluating the possibility of fleeing to such a shelter.

You may then wish to file a criminal complaint against your husband, depending on the nature of his actions. The shelter should be able to help you evaluate whether or not your husbands actions have reached the criminal level. You will also want to evaluate whether or not you wish to obtain a divorce. The shelter will help you in making this determination as well. Many areas have free/discount legal clinics to assist women in situations such as yours. Generally, a woman in your situation will be entitled to a portion of the marital assets, determinable by when assets were acquired, by whom, and through what sources.

The following link may assist you in finding these necessary resources:
http://feminist.org/911/crisis.html

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/

Because I have provided you with a detailed, high-quality answer in an extremely timely manner, please click the green Accept Button to accept my answer so I will receive credit for the time and effort I have spent answering your question.

Bonuses are greatly appreciated for the exceptional information I provide.

In the future, please feel free to ask questions of me personally at:
http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=18048122&FID=0

Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i know that i could go to a shelter, i just want to know if its worth it, am i entitled to the house, half the taxes alimoney etc? i need to know if i am entitled to anything?

Disclaimer

_____________________________________

Answer

Generally, in a divorce, each spouse is entitled to a portion of the marital assets. That portion will vary based on the assets involved, the contributions of the spouse, the way assets were acquired, etc.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to give a clear cut yes or no, beyond explaining that it is extremely likely that you will be entitled to a portion of the total assets. Alimony may be available, depending on the living arrangement and your degree of dependancy during the marriage. Depending on how you were treated, you may even have a valid lawsuit against your husband for any abuse that took place.

It is very unusual for a spouse to walk away from a divorce empty handed. However, whether or not the divorce is worth contesting will vary based on the emotional investment required and the amount of assets involved.

To evaluate how much of the assets you will be entitled to, you will want to visit an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, so as to present him with the information available to you. While free/discount legal clinics may be available, a court may have the option to order your husband to pay your legal expenses.

Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney