Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

If you start living together as husband & wife again after

If you start living together as husband & wife again after getting divorced in the state of CO are you still legally married?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Hello --

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

NO, you are not considered legally married as far as a traditional marriage goes.

However, common law marriages in Colorado are valid for all purposes in the same way a ceremonial marriage is. The elements of a valid common law marriage are that the couple:

(1) is free to contract a valid ceremonial marriage, i.e., they are not already married to someone else;
(2) holds themselves out as husband and wife;
(3) consents to the marriage;
(4) cohabits; and
(5) has the reputation in the community as being married.

If you satisfy all these requirements, your union will be considered a common law marriage.

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. Thanks.

Regards,

Michael