LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

My wife and I are 45 years old, live in wisconsin and have

My wife and I are 45 years old, live in wisconsin and have been married for 23 years. What is the average length of time I can expect to pay support? I am not looking to determine the amount to pay (i know there are many factors that determine that) but rather the rule-of-thumb to determine the length of time payments will be required.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

In a medium to long term marriage such as yours, if there is a significant difference in the earning capacity between you and your wife, you should expect to pay spousal maintenance at least half the length of your marriage, or at least 11 to 12 years. It is also possible that your spouse will ask the court for permanent alimony--which in some instances of long term marriages the court will grant.

However, you should be sure to provide in the divorce settlement agreement that if she remarries, or cohabitates with anyone that the alimony ceases.

You will be best served by having an experienced family law attorney in this case.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,