Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My niece gave her son the last name of her boyfriend who is

My niece gave her son the last name of her boyfriend who is not his father. Can she name her child with the last name of a non-biological father legally and what legal ramifications does that have for her child in the future regarding school enrollment, obtaining a passport etc... in the State of PA
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The only way she could give the name of the boyfriend is if he signed an acknowledgment of paternity form for the birth certificate. If he did this, then the biological father would have to sue to establish paternity and have the birth certificate changed. As far as legal ramifications, the boyfriend's name would remain until the bio father gets a court order to remove it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”