Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. Family law, child custody and support, domestic violence.

11 years ago, our six-year-old daughter was removed from us

11 years ago, our six-year-old daughter was removed from us by CFS in Salt Lake City, UT because we were financially unstable and suffered chronic homelessness. She was adopted by a family there. Now, she is 16 going on 17 and is extremely unhappy in her adoptive home. She feels she doesn't belong there. She loves and misses her mother and I, and she wants to come home to us. Her adoptive parents are unhappy with her as well, and are prepared to let her go.

Meanwhile, after losing her, I resolved to prepare for the day she would want to return, as I knew she would. I completed five years of college with highest honors (3.96 gpa). I then decided to become a long-haul truck driver. I am in my fourth year as a professional driver and am earning roughly $60k/yr. I have moved her mother into a nice 3 br/2ba apartment in Prescott, AZ and we are settling in nicely. We are, however, still getting settled and have no savings.

How do I get her back?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

First, congratulations on turning your life around!

Legally, you cannot go to court and challenge the adoption. Adoptions are generally permanent. If her adoptive parents were not willing to let her go, you would be without legal recourse to get her back.

However, since her adoptive parents are willing to allow her to come live with you, it is perfectly legal to do so. To effect a legal transfer of rights with respect to your daughter, there are a few options.

The first and probably cheapest way to do this would be for the adoptive parents to sign guardianship papers which would consent to the court making you your child's legal guardians. In Arizona guardianship proceedings are done in the Superior Court in your county. This is considered to be a probate case. Once the court entered an order making you your child's legal guardian, you would have the right to make parental decisions for her such as enrolling her in school, consenting to medical treatment, etc. Her adoptive parents would still legally be her parents (she would be able to inherit from them, etc.). But you would have parental rights over her as well.

A more expensive route would be for her adoptive parents to consent to allowing you to adopt your daughter. Again, this is a court case, similar to what you went through before, only this time by consent. This would allow you to be her legal parents and would sever all parental rights that her adoptive parents have.

With either option you will likely want to retain an attorney locally to assist you through the process.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not legal advice. This forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of knowledge. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm, and I am only licensed to practice law in Illinois. You should consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for that information. It is certainly helpful. So any legal solution can only proceed with her adoptive parents' consent. It seems we may have to overcome the obstacle of the mother's misconceptions about us because of an 11 year-old casefile that was created solely for the purpose of justifying the removal of our daughter from us. We know that it is full of distortions, half-truths, and even outright fabrications because an arbitrator allowed us to remove only a handful of the most heinous of those fabrications when it was being drafted.

Assuming we can reach an accord, a few questions spring to mind. Even though my daughter currently resides in Utah, will the court jurisdiction be in Arizona? Also, as we will likely be unable to afford an attorney at this time, would a guardianship proceeding be something we could handle on our own? Finally, what might be required of us to succeed?

HelloCustomer

Thank you for the clarification. No, the jurisdiction would be where your daughter lives. That would be in Utah.

If the adoptive parents are agreeable to this, then I think you can probably do a guardianship on your own. I have known several clients who have managed to get through the guardianship process without attorney assistance.

This link should take you to Utah's guardianship of minors packet which is intended for people who want to proceed without an attorney:

http://forms.lp.findlaw.com/form/courtforms/state/ut/ut000013.pdf

I think this packet explains the process fairly clearly. Please let me know if you have any questions about it, however.

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney for 22 years. Family law, child custody and support, domestic violence.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ah! You have certainly answered my question to my satisfaction. Thank you!