Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

My daughters 5 year old got out of bed while her mom was asleep

My daughters 5 year old got out of bed while her mom was asleep and got into a partial bottle of wine. Now my daughter has been arrested for 1 count child endangerment. I know this was a complete accident. She will see a judge tomorrow. Will they let her bond out? Can she fight this and win being broke? This is a very crooked town and depending on what officer you get depends on whether you get any charges or none. What can we do to help her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Hello -

Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation.

The Judge will certainly let your daughter bond out. He is bound by law not to set an exorbitant bond for the crime that was committed.

She can fight this, even if she is broke. If she is indigent, the State may appoint her a public defense attorney if the jail sentence is long enough to warrant one. I don't know the politics of your specific town, but as you know everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

The main thing you can do to help her is to support her. This is obviously a horrible mistake and not something that is happening on a contnual basis. I'm sure if you daughter explains herself and doesn't have a record that she will be able to get out of this.

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. Thanks.

Regards

Michael