Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My ex husband is demanding money he spent on me during our

My ex husband is demanding money he spent on me during our marriage.
I went to school and he moved to Japan to work and send money to me.

During the period, I met another man and end up in divorce.
I can not pay the amount he is claiming &170k (he clams that he send me that amount in cash when I was in school) which I paid back $20000, $150k remaining.

Yes, he was working to send me to the school, and I feel really bad. There was no written contract, it is solely verbal agreement. I do not have money to pay him back.

what can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

If you are already divorced (you are calling him your ex-husband), this amount should have been part of your property settlement. In any event, since you live in a community property state, the money your ex spent on you would be considered part of the community debt, for the benefit of the family. If you have already gotten divorce and there was no settlement regarding the money, it is my understanding that you do not owe your ex-husband this money and it is less likely that any lawsuit that he brings to make you pay him back for your education expenses during the marriage in a community property state of Nevada will succeed.