How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

just wondering what kind of rights i have for a step parent

Customer Question

just wondering what kind of rights i have for a step parent adoption without being presently married in my realtionship.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points:


  1. What is the jurisdiction (state) in question?
  2. How old is the child (or children) you want to adopt?


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my daughter is going to be 2 years old in feb. her biological father has no rights to her at all . he has never went for any custody, he is always being incarcerated and he has no employment. i have provided for her alone untill i met my fiance about 1 year ago we are engaged. and i just wanted to see what i had to do to get the ball rolling on this as my daughter doesnt no her biologial father and relates my fiance as her other parent.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with family law litigation experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. I would be glad to interact with you further if needed after you click "Accept" to process my answer. Thank you for writing back and supplying the additional information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. I am sorry for your circumstances, and I hope that everything gets resolved appropriately for you in this matter.
  2. Unfortunately, based on what you have related concerning the particulars of your situation, I do not have encouraging news to share. Step-parent adoption is generally one of the more straightforward routes, but your lack of formal marital status is not going to allow this to take place, sorry to say. One of the requisite grounds (see 5 under "THE COURT FINDS") is that the adopting are lawfully married. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that to accomplish your goal you will need to get married. I am sorry I did not have more encouraging news to share.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Related Family Law Questions