Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
11688690

My ex just signed the final drgree on my divorce 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question

My ex just signed the final drgree on my divorce 2 weeks ago. I was not notified that he was doing it so i wasnt there. The court says i defaulted because they never recieved my answer to the divorce papers i was served. i faxed an answer to them back in feb, i have a fax confirmation and my credit card was charged. The judge would not change my name because i was not present. what are my options for having my name changed?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

You mean back to your maiden name?

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes my maiden name. I am in Texas
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

Then you only have one - you will have to file a Petition for Change of Name, pay a filing fee that will cost about $200 depending on the county in which you reside, and appear before a judge to request that the name change be granted.

Since the judge already wouldn't grant your request - that is the only way for you to get back your maiden name.