Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I have a 17 year old son that will turn 18. His father has

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old son that will turn 18. His father has paid $350 from middle of 2003 until now. My son will not graduate from high school for another year. I read that Oklahoma law states we should receive support until he graduates from high school or until he is 20, whichever is first. I have never gotten a court order for this support as we all got along ok and I didn't want a fight. Now the father wants to stop paying. I also want to know if I can go back and get the years he didn't pay child support from 1991 until 2003. I have always carried all insurance, paid dental, eye, etc. all school expenses, etc.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

the child support begins at the date of the filing. so if you did not file until 2003 you cannot get any arrearage.

as to he date it stops, the law does provide that it can be paid through the age of 19 or graduates high school, whichever comes first - however, the law also allows for those additional monies to be paid directly to the child if over age 18