JPEsq., Lawyer
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.

Hello, I was wondering if there any information available about

Customer Question

Hello, I was wondering if there any information available about all women's rights after divorce in NJ? We're working on settlement agreement and my husband is trying to keep me in fear. He changed passwords to all our bank accounts and doesn’t want to pay me $12,500 (50% of money we have) until I sign the paper. There are many things I don’t like and don’t want to sign. I’m not sure if going through the court is the right thing fro me to do. I mean if I’ll be entitled for more…
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry, I am confused about what you are asking. Do you want me to provide you with an answer about asset division in New Jersey divorce cases? Or is there more? I am happy to provide assistance, I just want to be clear about what information you seek

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I’m sorry for the confusion. I can’t think clearly. Yes, I’d like to know what I’m entitled to if I go to the court. How the assets will be divided and what alimony he will have to pay me.

We’ve been married for 16 years. I’m 37 years old. For the past 7 years I was a full time mother, homemaker and the supporting wife.

Expert:  JPEsq. replied 7 years ago.

The property and assets will be divided "equitably" which generally means 50/50, unless there is some reason to deviate. That means money in that bank, the house, the cars, everything.

Here is a link to the actual statute:

As for alimony, you would probably get it, at least temporarily, if not permanently. Because you have been a homemaker, your job skills and earning capacity have been decreased. Here is a link that discusses alimony in NJ and the actual Statute:

The court views your role as a homemake/caretaker as every bit as valuable as his as the wage earner. So everyting he earned, is just as much yours as it is his. Try not to let him intimidate you, it is wrong for him to change the passwords and accounts, and that will be held against him in court, and could actually help prove your case for the need for alimony (see, look how much control he has over the finances, he needs to pay me!).

I think you have valid concerns and should probably hire your own lawyer.