LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

in ny state what is the legal age of stopping child support

in ny state what is the legal age of stopping child support payments
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

In New York, child support is typically ordered to end when the child turns 21 years old, or when the child is over 18 and legally emancipated. Under some circumstances the divorce decree or child support order will specify an even later time, but this is a relatively rare occurrence and typically involves parents that have bee ordered to pay for college education or when a child is disabled in some respect.

In NY an emancipating event would be the child joins the military, the child marries and lives apart from either parent, the child is fully employed and capable of full self-support.

Children that are part time of full time students are almost always determined to be not yet emancipated if they still live at the home of the custodial parent.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,