How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my ex and i were never married, i and i do not plan to have

Resolved Question:

my ex and i were never married, i and i do not plan to have him on the birth certificate. what rights will he have once he establishes paternity? can i be forced to stay in state the state he lives if i want to move?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
If he establishes paternity after the baby is born, he has every right that any parent has as to custody, visitation, and decision making for the child. He will also be responsible for support. If you move before the child is born it is less likely you will be required to stay in his state. Or if you have a good job, family, safe home in another state those are good reasons for a court to give you permission to move the child out of state but give the father long visits such as holidays and summer rather than every other weekend.
legaleagle and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you