legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

my ex and i were never married, i and i do not plan to have

my ex and i were never married, i and i do not plan to have him on the birth certificate. what rights will he have once he establishes paternity? can i be forced to stay in state the state he lives if i want to move?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
If he establishes paternity after the baby is born, he has every right that any parent has as to custody, visitation, and decision making for the child. He will also be responsible for support. If you move before the child is born it is less likely you will be required to stay in his state. Or if you have a good job, family, safe home in another state those are good reasons for a court to give you permission to move the child out of state but give the father long visits such as holidays and summer rather than every other weekend.